|IB – International Baccalaureate|
- Two-year course of studies for German and foreign students in the Qualifikationsphase (years 11 and 12)
- At Lessing-Gymnasium, the IB Diploma can only be obtained in combination with the Zentralabitur NRW. Since the latter entails a large number of exams in German, proficiency in German is required of all students wishing to participate in the dual course programme. Our foreign students need to meet the necessary requirements to enter the Qualifikationsphase, which is assessed and confirmed by the local government (Bezirksregierung Köln).
- All students of our bilingual profile as well as those that have spent a school year in an English-speaking country can participate in the programme. Students with outstanding English language skills that cannot draw on prior bilingual experience may apply to enter the programme.
- Excellent grades are not strictly required; our experience shows that often the diligent and hardworking students are best suited to meet the course requirements, even if their grades are only on occasion above average.
- There is a minimal number of about ten participants in the IB programme for a year to justify the immense personal and material effort needed to be able to provide this service.
The following character traits are expected of participants in the IB programme:
- Willingness to deliver maximum performance
- Enthusiasm for learning
- Keen interest in the sciences
- Willingness to read, write essays and give presentations in English and sometimes in German
- Social commitment
- The majority of costs resulting from this course offer (school certification, exam costs, teacher training and materials) is currently covered by the City of Cologne.
- The school authority presently (2017) charges a fee of 250 € per school year and participant to help cover these costs.
- Some course materials (e.g. books) have to be bought by the participants themselves.